Thursday, November 13, 2008

What Do You See Yourself 10 Years From Now?

A reader of Project BKO has noticed my newly posted avatar and asked why I appears to be at a beach in a Hawaii shirt.

Good question! I have had this picture in my head for a long time - someday I'll be retiring in Hawaii, laying on the beach with palm trees, watching the blue ocean and sky, and maybe still be blogging, since it has become a habit and part of my life. Isn't that the "American Dream" everyone has been talking about? Or, is that too much to ask? There are probably not enough islands for all of us. I probably can't afford an apartment over there, because "Rich Dad" has been and is still doing his real estate business over there.

In any case, that is the "10-years-from-now picture" I have painted in my head and is what I am shooting for with Project BKO. Regardless of your age, job, and condition today, we all should start painting a picture in our head. You don't need a crystal ball to see it 10 years from now. Rather, put down whatever you are doing now and close your eyes for just a few minutes. When you do, you'll start seeing many things or concerns coming into the picture. You have to start sorting out and navigating through those issues, before you can clearly see yourself 10 years later. You see, the problem with people living in a modern world is that everyone is rushing to get ahead of someone else and to get somewhere. They don't even have time to stop and say hello to people passing by. You'll be amazed by how fast 10 years can go by. How often do we stop and ask ourselves:
"Am I at the place I wanted to be 10 years ago? Am I going along towards the direction I want for myself 10 years later?"
It is so easy to get lost in a world where everyone seems to be so busy in doing what they are doing, especially during this economic condition. But, maybe it is the perfect storm that slows you down a bit to catch breath and start painting that picture.

Read this post on HubPages and Squidoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment